Thursday, June 24, 2010

Planning a getaway

I have been -- in all honesty -- looking ahead to my semester exchange abroad with so much enthusiasm I make a child with ADD look subdued.

Coming into my third year at uni, with things beginning to drag as well as my own fair share of dirty laundry I felt it was about time to have a change in scenery, for a while.

At the moment, I am at the final stages of planning the trip before semester starts: I've bought the tickets, I've researched the destinations, I've even contacted couchsurfing hosts in the keen expectation that if I send enough emails out, I'll be able to stay with someone.

Our trip will start in Prague -- the day we fly into Paris, bedraggled, we only have a few hours to lock stuff away in storage before we have to hop on that flight. Then, we'll drift towards Poland for four days, spending half the time in Krakow -- the other half in Warsaw. Following that is Riga, Latvia and Tallinn, Estonia; our own taster of the Balkans.

Somehow -- I've heard there is a boat that takes you from Estonia to Scandinavia, where one is head to head with drunken Swedes -- we'll end up in Stockholm. Hopefully none the worse and no one eventually kidnapped (sorry, I couldn't resist), we'll head on to the lovely Danish city of Copenhagen before my fellow travellers and I part ways. I'll spend the remaining few days in Holland, where I shall be soaking in the many sights...


Of couse, every seasoned traveler knows that whilst you may organise your trip to death, it rarely plays out according to plan. I hope it'll be a crazy excursion and be sure to give updates as to how the best laid plans have, perhaps, dissipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment