I think I ought to start calling my blog posts by other name to make it a little bit more coherent than Aix 1... numbers ascending. So today was perhaps the closest I have gotten to actual classes. I tasted French university administration and to tell you the truth, I don't want another bite. Think running around aimlessly, filling out stacks of pointless forms and reading fine print. All for someone who won't say exactly it is you need to do or how to get from A to B.
It's orientation week for my university and yet no mention of anything to expect. Or directions for those lacking it, such as myself. I left the apartment before 9am, for the seminar at 9.30am. I got to the actual university after 10.30am. It's a smallish city. The reason? My faculty is perhaps the hardest to reach and despite asking fellow pedestrians, most had no idea where it was. Makes sense, I am on exchange for arts, most students at the uni tell me it is a forgettable and particularly ugly building housing many bull**** degrees.
I eventually got help from a 70 year old man who was sauntering along with a friend, I ended up getting frog-marched up the road with a running commentary of the fabled Mistral. That is the local name for the gale winds that make Aix, and Provence, a wild country upon the onset of winter. I laughed that back home no one would be complaining about rain, but it's impossible for them to understand. Weather in Provence is beautiful year-round, and they aren't trapped in an eternal drought like Oz.
In other news, persistence - a good trait? I have had to block calls all weekend and generally keep a very low profile to detract some unwanted attention. Not the first time this has happened, nor I doubt the last. I have dyed my hair a few shades lighter (though to be honest I don't see much improvement) and cut it for good measure. I shall embrace the Jackie-O sunglasses in weeks to come. Until then euro (s)trippers, stay naughty and get into that booze, assessment time is nearly over.
Tegs! I like this post!
ReplyDeleteAlso assessment time hasn't even started, although I wish it was all over already. gah this semester is the worst! I don't even know why, been so unmotivated and gloomy. see what your absence does to me tegan?
Ah well your uni sounds like unsw to be honest. shit ugly building for arts? No one respects knowledge for knowledge's sake anymore.
oh take pictures of your new appearance! I want to see.
Anyway address me bitch! seriously. I want your address.
Haaha I sent you my address now. Expect something in the mail soon!
ReplyDeleteI don't look too different but am rocking the fringe at the moment! :) may go red next time